In compliance with the NewJersey State Code, the Edgewater Board of Education has a Health and Wellness Policy that encourages students to select foods low in fats and sugars. Additionally, we are a nut-free school. Therefore, when bringing in food for celebrations, we ask that you adhere to the approved healthy snack list, with the exception of the four designated celebrations: Halloween, Winter Holiday, Valentine’s Day, and End of Year. If in doubt about an item, please call our school nurse (201.886.3480 ext.1205).
Approved Healthy Snack Items Foods:
1. Low fat yogurt
2. Fruit (fresh, canned in its own juice, or dried)
3. Vegetable Sticks (alone or with low fat dip)
4. Granola or Whole Grain Cereal Bars (without nuts)
5. Whole grain cereal
6. Whole grain crackers (with cheese)
8. Popcorn (air popped or light butter)
9. Rice cakes
10. Graham crackers, gingersnaps, animal crackers, fig cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies
*Make sure the item is not manufactured by facility that produces items with nuts*
2. Low fat or skim milk
3. Soy milk
4. 100% fruit juice
Candy, donuts, cakes and cupcakes are not allowed, nor any food with sugar as the first ingredient. Goodie bags with food are not permitted; if goodie bags are distributed, please fill them with a pencil, a bookmark, a highlighter, or other literacy tools.